This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Mad_Mike
Well fellas.... it's been a minute.. I'd like to say there was a reason for my absence, but there honestly isn't... just a blur of years and work, and life that seems to have limited the importance of this place in my life... unfairly so, as this place has given so much to me in my non-internet life... This post will be a bit of a catch up, and a long overdue public thank you to some of yall on here... not that you care, but its owed... debts need paying.. so lets start from the top... back in 2018 I got married... that was cool... and that summer we went on our honeymoon... remember just packing a car and travelling without worrying about where the latest outbreak is , or even owning a mask?? yeah, me either.. but I have pictures here that prove that such a time did indeed exist...

We started driving here in the carolinas of course.... first leg had us crossing some big rivers and seeing some landmarks...

ate some BBQ at a gas station... and passed out for the night..

the next day we crossed another big river... and headed out on the flat...

stopped in the middle of nowhere for a sec...

and carried on to meet up with some friends on the front range.. did a little sight seeing and then headed up the hill a few days later..

When we got up a little higher in elevation we met up with a guy some of yall might know now, but back then he was telling us about how he was gonna be the next big youtube fishing star.... I figured he was full of shit... but here we are... anyway, being the nice motherfucker he is he took us on a nice long walk our first day in.. a good time was had by all, except for the ginger birds feet, which did not enjoy the 10 mile jaunt... however.. alot of non-native brookies were caught.. and the ginger bird managed the only native cutty.. I have pics of the fish somewhere.. but not here... so here are some scenery shots and shit... Also I should start this by saying, the ginger bird had at this point had very minimal fly-fishing education, and most of that in the salt which just led to unsuccessful attempts and frustration... this trip would be none of that thanks to the guys who fished with us.. they took her under their respective wings, and taught her the ropes, and had her straight ropin' fish by the end of the trip.. I can't thank you all enough, she still talks about that act of kindness.. it is not forgotten...

Honestly the fishing was great.. small water, small fish, dry flies.. the works.. We got very lucky in that regard and it was a trend that followed us everywhere we stopped to fish... not my usual state of affairs... must have been the ginger birds karma working for us...

The next day, we met our soon to be interweb famous guide for a car ride followed by a boat ride... the scenery of course was amazing.. the fishing followed suit.... We started with big foam hoppers... and never took them off. Lost count of fish.. and beers... and generally just had one of the nicest days on the water, any water, that I can remember...

the guide even got in on the action...

As said previously a good time was had by all..

Honestly Ben... I know i've told you in person, and have seen you a few times since this trip, but honestly this was a great couple of days that would never have been possible without your willingness to hang out with us .. thank you again buddy.. you know the door is always open in chucktown for you..

The next morning, we loaded up again and cut cross country to lando land.... by sundown, after a long drive across some of the most beautiful country i've ever seen, we found ourselves somewhere probably very familiar to a few of you on here...

Lando came by for a beer and some grub... we decided to be tourist for our fist day in town and did a whirlwind tour of a big park nearby... it was fun, one of those have to do things, and something i'd like to do again with more time so I could get off the beaten path a bit..

gotta have a good breakfast...

The next day however, we handed ourselves over fully to lando... he did not let us down... Started off driving way up into some native fish territory... the ginger bird gave me a sidways glance when lando handed over the bear spray and informed us about the Grizzly migration corridor we were going to be fishing in..... but it all worked out... the fishing once again was fantastic... amazing fish, all dry flys.. all day... every pocket of water that looked like it should hold a fish did.. and every fish was willing.. Once again lando took the ginger bird under his wing and by the end of the day she was casting to, hooking, netting and releasing her own fish.. like a pro...

even taught the ginger bird the art of a good fumble....

after too many fish to count and a tailgate lunch.. lando looks up and says... "if we hurry we can make it"... not knowing what he meant we headed back down the hill in a cloud of dust, hooked up the drift boat, and met his daughter at the put in for an end of the day float.... the education of the ginger bird continued, and she got tied into a proper fish...

the fumbles continued....

we caught a handful of fish but honestly for a while there I was content to just drink beer and float along watching the sunset....

towards the end of the float lando was on his cell phone negotiating something... and once again, he says... " we can make it"... this time, he was talking about food...

this place agreed to stay open late just for us.. and cooked up a mean country fried steak!

Once again I need to pause here to point out the hospitality and kindness that was extended to me and the ginger bird, for truthfully no other reason than this place... I still owe you Lando, I fully expect you to let me return the favor, its already been three years.. get on it..

After landoland, we continued our march west... this leg was mostly just tourist stuff, visiting some family, etc.. so I won't put all that here.. just some highlights..

crossed another big river...

stopped in seattle for a few days..

drove the rig onto a ferry and continued NW.... they gave us the honeymoon suite...

spent a few days wandering around... kayaking, hiking, looking at whales... as one does...

after that, we had gone as far west as possible with the car... so we turned around and headed back east...

Made a quick stop in montana to meet an old friend... got raging drunk, but somehow managed to get up for a quick float before he had to clock in for work...

After that it was just a slow and steady eastward slog, stopping to be tourists along the way.. seeing beautiful and weird stuff.. basically just enjoying the ride...

after south dakota we swerved south through nebraska, and picked our way home without event... a truly amazing trip, the highlights of which were made possible by this place and the amazing dudes who exist here..

after that life has been just that... We all know what happend in '19 and '20.... I'm an ICU nurse and my life has been a blur of suffering and death for two years now.. punctuated by a few spurts of fishing and light... I'm lucky that the pain and suffering i've endured have not been in my personal sphere, but in mass quantity it still takes a toll... I hope this post finds you and yours in good health mentally and physically....

some highlights..

Somewhere near the beginning of the pandemic, I decided that selling my perfectly good skiff would be a good idea so I could buy a project boat... granted this is my all time favorite hull, and a boat I've always dreamed of owning... lets just say that what started as a small project turned into a full overhaul... shes coming along, and i'm pretty sure she'll be ready by the time fish start tailing again.. but my wallet is hurting...

I will try to be around and keep an update on the skiff as she comes along.. we will see....

well i'm sure by this point that you've either already clicked away or thrown up from seeing my face so much.. (sorry bout that by the way)... but I just wanted to do this place justice and serve my apology up with some content at least.... miss you fellas, and hope to be more present moving forward...

love ya in the mouth... mean it..

Mike
By sarmulminnow
Well you owe me nothing-but Wow, thanks for the Sunday morning picture show!
I too have felt the joy, thanks to all :cool
3CB4DF85-ABCA-4FCD-B5E2-375B565BE15A.jpeg
3CB4DF85-ABCA-4FCD-B5E2-375B565BE15A.jpeg (389.86 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
By The Po Thead
Hot damn! Better late than never!!! Glad to see life has treated you well. And sweet project boat!

And take care of yourself. I have immense respect for you healthcare workers during this trying time… We’ll get through this eventually…

Cheers man,

Po.
By fatman
good stuff, great to see you hanging around. That Lappy is making some progress... :smile
By fishskibum
strong work
seeing lou god always makes me smile
ida put a hudge rock in the influencers pack for him
the cool kids spells it with a d
2022 Smalljaw Swap

I agree. Free -G-

#metoo, well played!

whatcha tying?

6CA8769A-B1BA-46B3-8E76-6E6E8B70D729.jpeg

Unlimited Almost a TR thread

winter stuff kessler https://hosting.photobucket.[…]