This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By yard4sale
stillsteamin wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:51 am
yard4sale wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:09 am
stillsteamin wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:49 am On the Deshooties I'll walk along a bank and try to call my shots, where are the trout going to hold in relation to each current break? Then you go through and see if you know your shit. There's something pleasing about that.
Nobody that "knows their shit" on the Deschutes fishes this way. Its a fucking abomination on the same level as the InstaBros running bobbers on their switch rods in the fall.

Not trying to be a dick, just saying there are better ways...
Agree to disagree. I'd never done it before the Hazels introduced us to it so... idk if the "nobody" part is true.

I also bobber fish for steelhead, mind. But I don't have an insta. But I do it in Michigan, so they aren't really steelhead, right? Or are they now, since they're the only ones left? Whatever. I can't keep up anymore. Like I said, I don't have an insta.
I'll agree to disagree. I like your guys style so I wasn't trying to be a dick. I just know there are way cooler ways to catch trout on the D. But hey, you've been there like 3 times and talked to Hazel...

I know nothing of the GL steelhead scene. I got nothing against that. Out here there is plenty of places to swing flies so I don't bother but I don't sweat what you do in the GL area.
By The Po Thead
You can definitely tell it’s deep winter on the drake.

Lets get this thread back on track....

By yard4sale
Yer right PO.

Went fishing with a Drake OG Monday.
CA4E12D2-9C36-4D2F-ADB8-85154A6AC6B6.jpeg
CA4E12D2-9C36-4D2F-ADB8-85154A6AC6B6.jpeg (152.74 KiB) Viewed 156 times
188B4F00-77FE-451A-A69B-32767EC625FE.jpeg
188B4F00-77FE-451A-A69B-32767EC625FE.jpeg (198.49 KiB) Viewed 156 times
D1199FA9-3466-4F81-BD56-EFFD6D55CC15.jpeg
D1199FA9-3466-4F81-BD56-EFFD6D55CC15.jpeg (105.37 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Still magic.

Edit: fuck Teh Suk and it’s BS pic posting shit.
By LA Fly Guy
Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:26 am Good posts, nerds. (pot, kettle, etc)

LA Fly Guy wrote:Can some of you explain tight line nymphing to this sight fishing, salt life dork?
Basically, you are fishing a quick-sinking fly (not necesarily heavy - often a slim profiled fly without resistance will sink faster than a heavier but bulkier fly) over repeated, short drifts where you have tension or contact between the fly and rod tip.
LA Fly Guy wrote:What makes that style of nymphing so effective over fishing a bobber?
The quicker, shorter drifts with a fly that is actually fishing because it is both at the zone you want it and always under tension so you arent missing fish takes due to slack means one covers A LOT more water far quicker.
LA Fly Guy wrote:Why does the fishing style almost require its own style of flies?
The flies need to get down quickly because of the shorter drifts. This means very slim profiles for less resistance.
LA Fly Guy wrote:What distances can/does one routinely fish with that style?
Not very far out. This is why these people use 10' or 11' rods.
LA Fly Guy wrote:How hard is to pick up for someone not used to the technique compared to nymphing under a bobber?
Easy.

Streamer fishing is also dumb. Jerkbait (trebles replaced with singles because I am not an animal) is better. :)
Thanks Heero. Did I miss any questions, or does that pretty much sum up tightline/Czech/Euro nymphing?
By Lando
B.M. Barrelcooker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:51 pm We add a twist to it on the Cumberland.

We drift in a boat and hang tungsten head euro-nymphs over the side as we drift.

You can drink a lot more beer that way ......... unless you tip the nymph with some miniature salad shrimp.....that will keep you way too busy foolin with fish.
Yes. I’m in.
By Ginseng Sullivan
I just have to dispel a myth here since everyone knows I'm the nymphing expert. Indy nymphing is capable of reaching depths to double digits, we do this regularly in a place where a 20' drift is max. Lead, a proper mend and a good sized float will get down with the get down any place i've ever fished. Can you put three 3/0 lead shot on yer euro rod? if not my indy rig will fish deeper, faster.

Just this once- Plunk yer shit upstream and just as the bobber lands make an upstream mend hard enough to move the bobber a foot upstream. The shot will plummet to the depth you've set as the bobber catches up. You're at max depth within a foot of where you cast. You're welcome.
12-18-17-31812 copy.jpg
note distance from bobber to chromer
12-18-17-31812 copy.jpg (263.82 KiB) Viewed 119 times
By The Po Thead
Fishwater wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:30 am Po,

Recipe for the octopus post haste. Sous vide temp, etc.
Thanks!
Start by gettin yourself some octo. I got this GPO from a buddy who commercial fishes for spot prawns here in Southeast Alaska during the fall. They become bycatch when they’re pulled up in the pots after eating all the shrimp inside.

I remove the hood from the octo and save it for halibut bait for my subsistence longline, then section out the legs to cook. Run them under cold water, and you can start to somewhat peel the skin/slime/membrane off each leg (not sure if this is an issue/something you need to do with octo you buy else where). Once each leg is cleaned, get a large bowl filled with ice and water and set aside. Blanch the legs for 5-10min in boiling water, or until the legs get a nice lookin curl to them. Remove, set in the ice bath, and cut/prepare your vac bags for the sous vide. Once your bags are ready, throw the legs in, and add 2-3 heaping spoon fulls of fine sea salt, and a few glugs of olive oil. Seal your bags, and cook for about 5hr at 171.

Finish the legs on a grill that’s hot as fuck. Make sure the grate is well oiled, I’ve had troubles with the legs sticking in the past.

Comes out with the texture somewhere between a tender steak and a mozzarella stick. 10/10 would devour.

The leftovers are fantastic served cold in a salad.
The return of Stolen Hours

April 18, 2021 Partly cloudy, low to mid sixti[…]

A Confession

Extrapolation: More than 20% of Murcanz supported […]

whatcha tying?

6BAAC230-14F7-485F-9C90-18E5E9AB28B9.jpeg 31B65B[…]

Luau 2021

Then you can pick up Bears Fan. Otherwise, there i[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine