Ruddy Duck wrote: ↑Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:55 amThe pressure washer almost certainly is breaking away fragile bone around the nose/sinus area.
There are some fragile sections, particularly around the nose. I'm surprised a pressure washer doesn't damage them.
I pay a taxadermist to clean and mount on a plaque because it is very cheap and I'm a yuppy.
I've boiled many euro mount skulls over the years. To get out the brains, a length of piano wire or a wire coat hanger inserted at the base of the skull where the spinal column enters the brain cavity can get the brain matter out without too much difficulty.
However, where I've been frustrated is the de-greasing that then must occur. Simmering the skull in ammonia, allowing it to cool so the oil/grease/fat can be skimmed off the surface, and then subsequent re-boils/degreasing cycles has only yielded so-so results. My taxidermist uses dry cleaning solvent with *much* better results.
Lastly, the hydrogen peroxide needs to be high-octane stuff. I use the 40 volume stuff that you can get from cosmetologists. It's a thick cream like shampoo that you mix with a powder. It foams up like shaving cream. Slop a bunch of that on the de-greased bone, put it in a plastic bag overnight, and rinse it off after work the next day. Super results-- *IF* the grease has been effectively removed.
As for your neighbor, it sounds like a public health concern. That much rotting flesh washing down the gutter or worse, laying around the yard, is gonna start to stink...
Good luck. It sounds like he's clueless on many levels.